Sons and Daughters of Liberty

What does it mean to be an American today? Whether you are a U.S. citizen by birth, or a naturalized American, you should think about this daily. What is an American? What is it about our way of life and culture that makes millions of foreigners risk life and limb to get here? Do we have a unique American culture? Why do people fear us? Why are there those out to destroy us? These are the questions and issues that will be explored here.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, California

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Why this McCain-Palin Supporting Democrat Voted for Obama

At the start of the general election campaign, while still smarting over Hillary Clinton’s loss, I thought that this Democrat might have to go with John McCain. After all, McCain was the known quantity: the seasoned and patriotic American, who would stand tough against our enemies abroad while defending the American Way of life. Heck, I was even taken in by Sarah Palin and her wholesomeness, straight-shootin’ talk, family, and, uh…okay! I just thought she was hot! But seriously, I was unsure what would happen come Election Day, and believed that I wouldn’t know where my little stamper pen would land until I was inside that voting booth.

The problem was that I felt I just didn’t know enough about Obama. It irked me that shady foreigners and most-likely many of our enemies, wanted him to win the election. It was as if they thought that Obama, by virtue of his Islamic heritage, skin color, or unusual name, was “one of them,” or somehow would pander to them. I detested many of Obama’s radical left supporters and special interest fringe groups like MoveOn.org, Code Pink, and wacky “San Francisco Democrats” like Nancy Pelosi, et all. I thought that most of these groups just gave FDR-JFK “centrist” Democrats like myself a bad name.

With such a big, bad world out there, most of which just didn’t care for “America” and Americans, and wanted to see us fall, or at least humbled, I knew that they couldn’t wait for the naïve and inexperienced Barack Obama to ascend the White House, so that they could go after him!

See, Joe Biden was right! Our enemies would test a green President Obama, the same way they tested President Kennedy. After all, anyone who’s played football will tell you, the moment a team sends in a new player they go after him.

So, taking this football analogy and running with it, I came up with the following thoughts and reason for my change of heart toward Barack Obama, who I will dub “the new guy” in my “quarterback controversy” with McCain. Who would I go with: the steady veteran, McCain, or the flashy upstart, Obama?

The veterans, most of whom wanted a boring but reliable ground game, respected McCain. McCain, my starter, was like the quarterback who I thought would lead my team to victory; the guy I had touted all through spring practice, two-a-days, and even up until the start of the season and the big game. He had the guts and the experience to take it to the opposing side even if it was a long, drawn-out slugfest.

Obama, on the other hand, favored risky pass plays (running for President), flashy showmanship (the Democratic National Convention), and he catered to the unruly, younger elements on the team and the radical parents and boosters (Lefty supporters). Obama had never started or captained a team, and I wasn’t sure he could be trusted at the helm.

Like a good football coach, I knew what to do regarding my choice. In the end, it’s really all about the team, not the individual players. And in this case, the USA was my team, and all of them out there in the world, were the “other guys.” They didn’t think my team had it in them. They expected my team to fold; to crumble under the weight of a quarterback controversy. The opposing side relished an opportunity to go after our “new guy” if my starter fumbled. What was I to do?

In the opening game (the General Election campaign), McCain was in there for three-quarters. He never saw his open receivers and kept throwing to the one in coverage, who ultimately dropped passes and was too well defended (Palin). McCain flopped. He gave it his best; had some flashes of breaking out. But alas, ultimately he couldn’t get the job done.

And, as I alluded to before, every good coach must focus on the ultimate goal—what’s best for the team. I had to pull the seasoned starter. I had to turn to the new guy. The untested rookie who had done everything I asked of him, played a perfect spring game, executed plays flawlessly in practice, showed poise, confidence, and leadership—an inspiration to the entire team!

Barack Obama managed to appease his loud-mouthed younger teammates and the radical parents/boosters. However, secretly he was reading Bear Bryant and calling Lou Holtz; studying Pete Carroll and watching Norm Chow. He knew the opposing side couldn’t wait to go for him. And when I saw how he performed in the key practices (debates, financial crisis), and the brilliant (and centrist!) minds he was taking into his inner circle: Clinton, Collin Powell, and Warren Buffet, I knew the team was in good shape!

And I put in the new guy—voted for him!

Let the other side go after him, I thought. They’d be in for a big surprise, for I had a brilliant, talented young quarterback who had learned from the greats. The enemy would act foolishly and show their hand in going after Obama. And by doing so, they would open themselves up. All Team USA needs is that opening, that one small advantage. Whether it lasts two, or six months after he takes office, all America needs is that slight window of opportunity, when our enemies make a grave error, and our European “friends,” still drunk in their delight over Obama’s victory, let us have our way in the world, and that’s when we STRIKE!

Obama sees the opening, drops back and throws the long ball—we’re wide open!

TOUCHDOWN! Team USA!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dean said...

Are you suggesting Chief Justice Roberts dump Gatorade on Obama at the inauguration?

In the words of Andy Samberg As Mark Wahlberg, "Say 'hi' to your mother for me."

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home